Thursday, February 20, 2014

Love on Valentine's day

For as long as I can remember, I've always regarded Valentine's day as ordinary. I never felt the need to celebrate and found it absurd that many people fall for the consumerism that the day brings. Sure, I've been given Valentine flowers in the past (and I am always grateful) but I never really felt that it should be a life and death matter to receive flowers nor felt the desire to be wined and dined by a partner on this day. I was perfectly nonchalant.    

But something changed this year and today, I am happy to write that I am slowly developing a heart for the occasion. Despite the unmindful attitude that I have always had, I think I can allow myself to be vulnerable. For the first time in my 26 years, it crossed my mind that it would be nice to celebrate a loving relationship on Valentine's day.

I try to fathom the sudden change in attitude and think that maybe having been away from "home" for over a year now has made me realise that everything familiar is starting to become more and more distant. That eventually, I'd have to call someplace else "home" with a family of my own. The idea freightens me at this point. I feel that I am too young, unprepared and don't even know when my "forever with someone" will begin. 

And so with all the uncertainty that the future holds, I surrounded myself with the love that I grew up  with. I filled my memories with the love that I know will always be there - love of my parents. They are a thousand miles away but knowing that they went out on a romantic date on Valentine's day was enough to soothe my precious little heart. There is absolutely nothing absurd about flowers, chocolates and romantic dates on Valentine's day.



   

0 comments:

Post a Comment