So imagine my astonishment when I arrived in Australia and I turn on the sports news. They have news about every single sport in the world (and Aussies are ridiculously GOOD at almost all sports) except, you guessed right, basketball and boxing. Not once have I heard of any news about an Aussie basketball/boxing match. They play mostly English games obviously because it is a commonwealth nation. They have multiple team sports going on in every season that in as much as I would like to follow, I couldn't because there is just too many! They have cricket (which I think is awfully boring), soccer, Australian rules football (and other types of footy), rugby (which is broken down into the national rugby league, super rugby and god knows what else) and many other team sports that I could not fathom (I laugh as I write this sentence). :p
One fine Saturday, I get my first immersion to the unique Aussie world of sport when my friend randomly invites me to watch rugby (the NRL one as opposed to the AFL) with her and her friends. As this was a chance to see the game live, I agreed to go! Both of us had nil idea of the mechanics, so we relied on her friend for explanations. The Sydney Roosters (what a name right?) were playing against the Melbourne Storms that night. So I go, and to me it was like watching a fusion game of the World Wrestling Federation and soccer. Something like Stone cold Steve Austin and David Beckham in one game. It is because you have these beefed-up, bulky, macho men running about the field passing the ball around and then all of a sudden they are pinning each other on the ground! Such a brutal game! Nonetheless, I enjoyed it, mostly because of the atmosphere and the feeling of team spirit that blankets you when you are at a sporting event. As expected, there was constant shouting, cheering, jeering and yelling! Funny enough, there was booing and teasing between two fanatics who got too carried away that someone had to call the police to stop the tension. The whole thing was just so exciting to watch and I loved every minute!!
The Roosters lost by the way. They did not stand a chance against the Storms who were just too good. This doesn't mean though that I am going to be following the game from here on. Not a chance. I'll watch only when I feel like it. :)








0 comments:
Post a Comment