Saturday, March 16, 2013

Random thoughts on poverty

It has come to my observation that the average Sydneysider does not have a clue about poverty. It is not that they live lavishly because they don't. In fact, they like to live comfortably - but within practical grounds! It is after all, one of the most expensive cities in the world. They catch trains/buses to get to/from work because parking is expensive in the city. It is common knowledge that shopping is ridiculously expensive (prices are triple what they are really worth) so they usually shop online or wait for sales and discounts. They like good food but they are wise enough to take advantage of special offers or eat where quality is assured. They are big work-life balance fanatics so they make it a point to go on holidays every now and then.     

As it is a multicultural city, they tend to be very knowledgeable of the ways of the world. Most of those I've met are well-read so it is likely that they read about poverty among the developing countries in the news. But still, there is a big difference in how they view things socially, politically, economically or even religiously because they are not exposed to third world problems! They do not have the Pasig river, Payatas or the squatter areas to worry about. I am not sure of the exact details but their government is able to give assistance to their "poor," the refugees and the unemployed, i.e., offer housing and allowance for unlimited periods of time. The Philippine government could never afford this! Also, what is considered poor in Australia is very different from the poor in the Philippine context!!

 Anyway, I could go on and on but as I am feeling hungry, I will stop. Need to get breakfast. :)

0 comments:

Post a Comment